In ancient Hawaiian times, Lanai was believed to be overrun with evil spirits. A young man named Kaululaau, the son of a Maui chief, was exiled to Lanai to explore the island and deem it free of such spirits to make Lanai suitable for settling. The language of the people of Lanai is as diverse as everything else on the island. There are two official languages, English and Hawaiian. English is the language usually used in education. For many Lanaians, the native Hawaiian remains to be the language of their hearts. The literature of the ancient people of Lanai, like in the rest of the islands of Hawaii, is oral in nature and is deeply rooted in religion. The "mele" (poetic language) is a chant through which the ancient people talked stories and honored their deities and chiefs. Today, the word "mele" is also used to mean "song."
View local artwork at the Lanai Arts & Culture Center, a prominent showcase for community arts and be sure to visit the Lāna‘i Culture & Heritage Center in Lāna‘i City which was established in 2007. Their programs seek to inspire people to be informed, thoughtful and active stewards of Lāna‘i's legacy landscape by preserving, interpreting and celebrating its natural history, Hawaiian traditions, diverse heritage and cultures, and ranching and plantation era histories.
- Hulopoe Bay: Home to one of America’s Best Beaches and the Four Seasons Resort Lanai.
- Puu Pehe (Sweetheart Rock): Take a short hike from Hulopoe bay to this iconic Lanai landmark.
- Lanai City: Charming central town, home to the Hotel Lanai and near the Four Seasons Resort Lanai, Lodge at Koele.
- Kaiolohia (Shipwreck Beach): This secluded beach features a ghostly ship still wrecked off shore.
- Keahiakawelo (Garden of the Gods): 4-wheel drive to this other worldly landscape.
Lanai Adventure Tours
|ATV Tours||Dolphin Tours||Eco Tours||Helicopter Tours||Land Tours||Sightseeing||Submarine Tours||Whale Watching|
Popular Lanai Activities
|Dinner Cruises||Fishing Charters||Golf||Horseback Riding||Kayaking||Scuba & Snuba||Surfing||Zipline|
Memberships and Certification
Certified Hawaii Tourism Authority 'Destination Expert'.
A member of Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau and the Hawaii Tourism Authority.